The “Butzer Tradition” started around 1926 when Guido G. Butzer became a self-employed residential plumber in Jefferson City, the capital city of Missouri.
Guido was the last of seven sons of a German immigrant farmer and barrel maker. Guido briefly worked for his brother in the plumbing repair business before starting out on his own. His business included residential plumbing and eventually the light commercial plumbing market.
In 1949 Guido sold his plumbing business to his son, Harold G. Butzer. Harold was a recent graduate civil engineer of the Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy and a commissioned officer of the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers.
In 1960 the business became known as Harold G. Butzer, Inc. and was moved from West Main Street to new facilities located at 730 Wicker Lane. The business quickly expanded to include pipefitting, plumbing, sheet metal work, heating, air conditioning and process piping. Over the years the Company has expanded several times and now includes facilities at 721, 730 and 733 Wicker Lane. The Company also has Service Centers in Hannibal and Springfield, Missouri.
From the beginning in 1926 as a humble one-man plumbing shop, Harold G. Butzer, Inc. now employs more than 150 workers which include our union craft workers in the pipefitting, plumbing and sheet metal trades. The integrity of our people, from our start in 1926 to the present, has led to a very impressive record of success in customer satisfaction.
A transition in ownership occured in 2006 when four long time employees purchased an interest in the Company. Shortly thereafter, these employees purchased the remaining interest from the Butzer family and became the sole owners of Harold G. Butzer, Inc.
Over the years, our Company has employed several generations of family involvement in the Company. While our record of success is impressive, its still people that count the most.
The “Butzer Tradition” of Quality, Safety, and Customer Satisfaction has allowed the Company to grow and prosper. The future looks bright for Harold G. Butzer, Inc.